Fair Housing

The City of Superior Supports Fair Housing

The City of Superior Supports Fair Housing

The Fair Housing Act Prohibits Discrimination in Housing on the Basis of Race or Color, National Origin, Religion, Sex, Familial Status (Families with Children), and Disability.

Under the Fair Housing Act, the following activities are illegal:

  • Refuse to rent or sell housing
  • Refuse to negotiate for housing
  • Make housing unavailable
  • Set different terms, conditions, or privileges for sale or rental
  • Provide different housing services or facilities
  • Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale, or rental
  • For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting)
  • Deny any access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale of housing
  • Refuse to make reasonable accommodations in rules or services if necessary for a disabled person to use the housing
  • Refuse to allow a disabled person to make reasonable accommodations to his/her dwelling
  • Threaten or interfere with anyone making a fair housing complaint
  • Refuse to provide municipal services, property insurance or hazard insurance for dwellings, or providing such services or insurance differently

What You Should Do if You Believe Discrimination has Occurred

How to File a Complaint
  • File a Complaint Online
  • Call the HUD office at (800) 743-5323
  • Stop by Superior City Hall at 135 W 4th Street, Superior, NE 68978 for assistance in filing a complaint.
What information do I include when reporting a complaint?
  • Your name and address
  • The name and address of the person your complaint is against
  • The address of the housing involved
  • A short description of the event that caused you to believe your rights were violated
  • The date(s) of the alleged violation
What other resources are available?

You have the right to fair housing. It’s not an option. It’s the Law.