Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Where do I get an application for handicapped parking permit? You may pick up an application for a handicapped parking permit at the City Clerk’s office.

  2. I need to purchase a cemetery lot or find the location of the burial of a loved one in Evergreen Cemetery. All records for the Evergreen Cemetery are kept in the City Clerk’s office and you may contact the City Clerk to purchase cemetery lots or locate burials.

  3. Who do I contact about getting a burn permit? You may get a burn permit from the Fire Chief but it is best to contact the City Clerk’s Office for the Chief.

  4. When is the burn pit open and when is open burning allowed? Burn pit hours are Mondays and Wednesdays from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. October-March and 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. April-September. Saturdays 10 a.m. – 12 noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.

    Open burning Tuesdays and Thursdays – 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. and Saturday 12 noon to 7 p.m. Remember – when open burning there are rules to follow – must be in a waste burner with a screen; structures should be 15 feet from structures; authorized materials to burn are leaves, paper or paper products and wood materials (plastics, household waste are not to be burned.) Do not burn prohibited substances. Have a hose close by.

  5. Does my pet need a license? Yes, dogs and cats need to be licensed. You can do so at the City Clerk’s office but you will need to show proof of rabies vaccination. Dogs and cats, by city ordinance, are not to run at large.

  6. Where do I register to vote? You register to vote at the County Clerk’s office at the court house in Nelson, Nebraska. However, the City Clerk’s office does have forms to fill out that can be mailed in if you so choose.

  7. Do I need a permit to sell door to door or on the curb? Yes, if you are selling items door to door or selling from the curb or street you do need an Itinerant Sales Permit from the City Clerk. They are $10.00 and you may use the permit for 180 days.